Student Guardian visa (Subclass 590)
With this visa you can
- come to Australia to provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age (or over 18 in exceptional circumstances)
- care for more than one student
- study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week, or any other study or training for no more than 3 months
You cannot work.
How long you can stay
You can stay in Australia until a date specified on your visa grant letter. In deciding this date, we usually consider the length of the student visa holder’s stay or when that student turns 18.
You can stay in Australia by applying for a further Student Guardian visa.
If any member of your family unit has not turned 6 years old, you cannot be granted the visa unless:
- there are compelling and compassionate reasons or
- granting the visa would significantly benefit the relationship between the Australian Government and the government of another country