Skilled Visas & Migration

Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 489)

The Skilled-Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) is for skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in specified regional areas in Australia for four years. There are two pathways for this visa:

  • the Invited Pathway – Submit an Expression of Interest.
  • the Extended Stay Pathway – you must hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.

For family members who are included in your visa application (in either visa pathways), they must be a family member of someone who already holds this visa (subclass 489) or a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.

For the invited pathway you might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited. When we sent your letter of invitation, you must also have:

  • been nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area
  • nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupations list
  • a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
  • not yet turned 50 years of age
  • achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
  • at least competent English